top of page

Required Safety Certificates for Rental Properties

Updated: Mar 14, 2023

Which ones do Landlords need to have in order to legally rent out a property?

When letting out a property there is an obligation to ensure that it's safe for tenants. Landlords are legally required to obtain and renew a variety of certificates in order to document the security of the property.

With that in mind, this article should help to bring some clarity around what is required and what is recommended. Please be aware that required certificates can vary in different regions, be sure to double-check the legislation that applies to the area where your rental property is located.

Landlord Gas Safety Record

A Landlord Gas Safety Record shows that a Gas Safe, Registered Engineer, has carried out an inspection at your property. This could include checking the boiler, gas pipes and any gas appliances to ensure that they meet safety standards. All Landlords are legally required to ensure that this certificate is renewed annually.

After you receive this certificate it should be circulated to the Tenants within 28 days of the gas safety check. If this is a new tenancy then the document should be provided at the start of the lease. For more information about Landlord responsibilities you can check the Gas Safe Register website.

Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)

This ensures that a property is electrically safe for tenants to occupy. This report must be performed by a qualified person (such as an electrician), and needs to be renewed every five years.

The electrician will examine the fixed electrics in a property - everything from the plugs and sockets all the way to the fuse board. Once the inspection is complete the inspector will issue an EICR. This will either declare the property safe or may highlight areas that need improvement (some of which could be recommended while others may require urgent repairs).

Like the Gas Safety Certificate, Landlords must supply new Tenants before the start of the tenancy and ensure it is circulated to existing Tenants within 28 days of the inspection taking place. If the report recommends remedial works then the Landlord must provide Tenants with written confirmation that the works have been completed.

Additional information on the standards and requirements can be found on the websites for the UK, Scotland and Wales.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

The purpose of this certificate is to provide an evaluation of the energy efficiency of your property. It is based on a simple scale from A to G - where A is extremely efficient and G is the least energy efficient.

All rental properties must currently have an EPC rating of at least D, but be aware that this is changing in 2025. From this date, all rental properties will need an EPC rating of C or above. As before, these new regulations will apply to new tenancies first, followed by all tenancies from 2028.

An EPC is valid for 10 years, although when it runs out you only need to get a new one if you’re setting up a new tenancy agreement - this includes renewing an Assured Shorthold Tenancy to a set of sitting tenants.

Portable Appliance Testing (PAT)

The UK Government Guidelines for portable appliances, such as a refrigerator / freezer, toaster, microwaves or lamps, recommends that Landlords employ an electrician to carry out testing on these and provide a copy of the inspection report. This PAT Report will detail the test results and include a visible pass or fail for each item.

Legionella Risk Assessment

Legionnaires' disease is a lung infection you can get from inhaling droplets of water from things like air conditioning or hot tubs. It's uncommon but it can be very serious. It’s important that landlords conduct a Risk Assessment for legionella bacteria before letting a property. While it’s not a requirement to record the findings of any assessment and steps taken, it is advised that all Landlords undertake this and keep a record for their own edification.

Disclaimer: The content included in this post is based upon the currently information available. It may be subject to change and it is possible that it is not be applicable to your circumstances - as such, it should not be relied upon. You are responsible for complying law and should seek independent advice if you require further information about the content included in this blog post.

27 views0 comments


bottom of page